Chalk Box

Sunday, February 03, 2008

In Hell


Dante and Virgil in Hell (1850) William Bouguereau

Rather idiotically, I keep thinking that I've found all the artists whose work I will like. Basquiat, Beardsley, Kandinsky, Shrigley, Warhol, Caravaggio, and dozens of others. But of course, if I looked hard enough, I could probably find artists whose work I find strikingly beautiful or funny at a rate of one per week for the rest of my life.

William-Adolphe Bouguereau is this week's discovery. Dante and Virgil are the dark figures on the left, observing the suffering sinners in the fifth circle of hell, and the slothful are lying in the background, watching the two figures, the wrathful, in an eternal scrap.

A bit Caravaggio, a bit dark and sulphury, a lot homoerotic. It combines, let's face it, all of my favourite things!

I look forward to next week's discovery.

1 Comments:

  • I also only recently discovered this painting (and this artist!) and when I set out to look for more of his works I was swept away by the quality of the art itself but especially by the intensity of the themes, like in this one :)

    By Blogger TrueManticore, at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home